Thursday, May 26, 2011

The hardest week

We all know the first week of any change in eating habits (I don't like the word diet) is the hardest week. You go from eating anything and everything under the sun, to being consciously aware of what you put in your mouth and eventually obsessing about it. This has always been my biggest hurdle, constantly thinking about food.

I've attempted to rejoin Weight Watchers probably 4 times in the last two years. I'll do well for a few weeks and next you thing you know, I'm back to my old habits. And that's if I make it past day three.

This week on day three, I faltered. I had nachos full of cheese, meat, beans and sour cream. Oh, was there sour cream! Let's be honest, you can't put this (Not) Skinny Bitch in front of cheese and sour cream and not expect inappropriate things to happen. I at those nachos like it was my job.

It's something I always do. I falter, feel bad about my decision, ditch my plan, and never look back. Except this time, I knew it was different. Because I didn't feel bad. I enjoyed the hell out dinner, had a great time hanging out with great friends, played with my god kids, and didn't feel bad. I DIDN'T FEEL BAD.

It was that moment I've been waiting my entire adult life for. The moment where I knew I'd finally overcame my food obsession. I don't know if it's because I finally decided to put my foot down and say enough is enough or if it's because I have a different perspective than I've had before. The perspective that this isn't a diet; it's a lifestyle change. Bad days are going to happen and bad decisions are likely to accompany those days.

But, tomorrow is a new day. And for that, I am thankful.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, diet is not a good word. Oh, and its OK to induldge every once in a while. Its called 'in moderation'. Enjoy the little things once in awhile, but don't binge on them. It's what gets us through those food obsessions. I usually keep chocolate on hand and have 1 piece for dessert to satisfy my sweet tooth and that usually gets me by instead of going out and indulging on a whole big dessert. Hang in there! Also, it helps to plan ahead, if you know you are going to indulge on something later that day, eat healthy the rest of the day to balance it out or go for a walk and burn it off before you even consume it : )

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you no longer feeling guilty about giving into foods you enjoy ! It is all about balance.

    ReplyDelete